Fireside’s Windspeaker Leadership Initiative
Tentative Trip Plan (subject to change)
July 21-August 17th, 2019
July 22nd – UBC, Vancouver
July 21st – UBC, Vancouver
- Arrive, territorial welcoming and acknowledgement, move into UBC residence, evening activities and review personal gear
- Morning tour MOA, meet with Indigenous UBC students at longhouse, overview of Windspeaker Initiative and team building activity (sailing lesson in English Bay) and evening tour of Vancouver.
July 23rd – UBC, Vancouver
July 24th – UBC, Vancouver
- Morning forest hike, team building challenge, review BC and Yukon maps of First Nation territories, forest bathing activity, swim at UBC pool and meeting with elders
- Canoe expedition preparation for Sechelt Inlet paddle, review and learn how to manage group gear, menu planning and food purchasing, continue working paddle skills.
July 25th – Porpoise Bay Provincial Park
July 26 - 30th – Sechelt Inlet
- Depart for Sechelt Inlet and setting up camp at Porpoise Bay Provincial Park. Meeting with Sechelt Nation for welcoming and cultural workshop. Canoe practice skills sessions.
- Depart for Sechelt Inlet canoe expedition and developing outdoor leadership skills.
July 31st – Sechelt
August 1st – Sechelt – YVR – Whitehorse
- Rest day in town
- Pack up and prepare for Yukon Expedition
- Early departure from Sechelt to YVR to take flight to Whitehorse, Yukon. Arrive in Whitehorse and move into accommodation and tour Whitehorse
August 2nd – Carmacks
August 2nd-5th – Carmacks to Fort Selkirk
- Review paddle strokes and set off for Yukon River expedition
August 5th-10th – Fort Selkirk Historical Village
August 10-13th – Fort Selkirk to Dawson City
- Working with and learning from Fort Selkirk First Nations including traditional hand games lesson, cultural traditions, work service project, forest foraging and hike to Basalt Flats. Youth will participate in a 36-hour solo on the islands in front of Fort Selkirk Village and connect with Fort Selkirk First Nation youth.
- Continue paddling down the Yukon River and continuing to develop outdoor leadership skills
August 14th – Dawson City
August 15th – Tombstone National Park
- Full day touring Dawson City and enjoying local events
- Full day tour of Tombstone National Park and return for evening under the Northern Lights celebration
August 16th – Whitehorse
August 17th – Homeward bound
- Homeward bound to Vancouver (YVR) pick up
- Early morning departure for Whitehorse and move into accommodation (TBA).
- Graduation dinner, leadership certificates handed out and final video journal.