ALS Yukon Laughing Buddha River Expedition
Expedition Trip Plan 2019
(subject to changes)
Participants arrive the day before to Whitehorse and move into hotel (TBA)as part of your registration
8:00pm - Laughing Buddha Rendezvous (location TBA)
Day One: Saturday
9:00am – Meet at Up North Adventures
9:30am – Introduction, ice-breakers and review of adventure expedition
10:00am – personal and group gear inspected, meal plans finalized & packed, waivers signed, review of route and essentials expectations set and orientation of equipment
12:30pm – Riverside Picnic
1:30pm – Paddle strokes review and practice on the water.
3:00pm – 4:30pm - Last chance to purchase items before we leave
4:30pm – Drive to Carmacks (burritos along the way)
7:00pm – Arrive to Carmacks – set up camp at site
8:00pm – Additional paddle practice
9:00pm – River ceremony and acknowledgement
10:00pm – End of day (ha…not really as the sun won’t be going down anytime soon)
Day Two: Sunday
7:00am – Breakfast and pack up
8:30am – Here we go! – Paddling, having lunch along the way, pulling out to explore and developing our skills with paddling and navigating the river
5:30pm – Pulling off after going through the Five Finger and Rink Rapids
7:30pm - Robert Service stories and history lesson of the Yukon Gold Rush
9:00pm – Campfire and s’mores
Day Three to Day Seven: Monday – Friday
- Williams Creek., Minto, Fort Selkirk, Basalt Cliffs and Kirkman Landing.
- Checking out old cabins, homesteads and wilderness trails
- 1.5 days exploring Fort Selkirk including an optional half day hike to Victoria Lookout.
- Jokes before every meal
- Laughter Yoga sessions
- Forest bathing (clothes on)
- Practicing and acknowledging the moments of meaningfulness
- Daily “Laughing Fits” where we hope you will laugh your butt off
- Final wilderness dinner and river bracelet ceremony
- Individual wilderness portraits
- Final Night Ceremony & a Laughing Buddha surprise
- Cont’d practicing and developing strokes
- Basic map reading and basic orienteering
- Knots and tarps lesson
- Fire starting lesson
- Water purifying
- Emergency Procedures (review test while on the river)
- Campfire cuisine lesson (dinner)
- Review safety protocols and use of devices
- Weather reading & review forest fire procedures
- Campsite and campfire management and selection
- Wilderness risk management lessons and strategies
- Learning to use all safety equipment (Spot, InReach, Sat Phone and other)
Day Nine (Saturday) – Arriving into Dawson City
This is where you have decided to have booked yourself a hotel OR you are camping out with the staff for one more night. Your call! Early arrival in Dawson City, followed by a quick shower up, meal, up, then go live it up! Tour the city and visit historical places including the arts festival.
Day Ten (Sunday)
Early departure by shuttle for those catching a ride with the Laughing Buddha staff team.
Please remember to book your accommodation in Whitehorse for when you arrive .
Note: For an additional cost we can book you a flight between Dawson City to Whitehorse if you are not interested in a six hour drive back to Whitehorse.