Fireside’s BIG SKY EXPEDITION – An Adult Yukon River Canoe Trip
Imagine yourself in the middle of nowhere, breathing in the best air on the planet, a massive sky above and travelling down the majestic Yukon River. We all know that is you enjoying your own postcard life moment.
The problem is you might be unsure if you are the right candidate or if you could physically do it and/or too young or too old. We want you with us this summer because you need it and we want to share it.
Why you’re invited:
We know you are the person in need of a perfect remedy for a mid-life fix, a personal adventure, a pause in life and/or new perspective for your career. You are the person just needing a getaway to be unplugged, learn new skills and to be inspired by injecting a Fireside Yukon River canoe trip into your bloodstream and soul.
See this invitation as an opportunity rather than an obstacle.
Program DetailsDate: August 03 to August 12, 2018
Ages: 18 + years (co-ed)
Rate: $2,550.00 CDN plus 5% taxIncludes: instruction, food, accommodation, most camping gear, Whitehorse airport pick-up and drop-off, and canoes during the trip. Does not include flight, fishing license, personal extras, and some optional activities.
It's a Life Changing Experience
Imagine if... you could unplug and relax
Fireside’s Big Sky Expedition Details:
Feel your hand dip into the Yukon River as we provide you with excellent instruction, equipment and support while travelling over 400km down river. At Fireside, we share the gifts of the wilderness with people of all colours, abilities, backgrounds, sizes, gender identities and experience levels.
Fireside Adventures is designed to allow you to enjoy and experience our pillars - Life. Be. Adventure. while participating on one of our wilderness expeditions and retreats.
Just do it for you and join your fellow adventurers for Fireside’s Big Sky Adult Expedition 10 day Yukon River canoe trip and discover the wildness of the Yukon, old Gold Rush cabins and famous places like Whitehorse, Carmacks, Takhini Hot Springs and the famous frontier town of Dawson City.
“My doctor says he thinks I am having a mid-life crisis. I was so surprised I nearly fell off my skateboard” - unknown
Why you are addicted to your smartphone
This is how Wikipedia defines a mid-life crisis
Individuals experiencing a mid-life crisis may feel:
- a deep sense of remorse for goals not accomplished.
- a fear of humiliation among more successful colleagues.
- longing to achieve a feeling of youthfulness.
- need to spend more time alone or with certain peers.
- a heightened sense of their sexuality or lack thereof.
Do you relate? Need a remedy?
It's a Life Changing Experience
- You will be on a kick ass Yukon adult canoe trip travelling down the Yukon River. Check that off your bucket list
- You will be happy to know we adjust the trip plan and logistics based on the overall group’s fitness and comfort level. We give our attention individually pre, during and post trips to make sure you are ready and feeling comfortable.
- You will be stretching those muscles doing some basic “yoga in the woods” exercises and the option to practice some mindful meditation by the riverside.
- You will be unplugged from wifi, phones, computers, home and work life.
- You will be fully guided on a multi-day canoe trip while paddling down the Yukon River from Carmacks to Dawson City. You will get some time in Whitehorse, Yukon too. You are not in charge of this experience except for yourself.
- You will be led by excellent and experienced guides gifted in teaching outdoor leadership and wilderness skills who will provide support for the entirety of the expedition
- You will chow down on some fabulous wilderness gourmet cooking prepared by your guides and fellow paddlers
- You will step back into time by hiking the old trails in search of Yukon Gold Rush artifacts, abandoned cabins and panning for gold.
- You will soak your bones at the Takhini Hot Springs at the beginning and end of your expedition
- You will sleep under the stars on some of the Yukon River’s pristine river islands
- You will get a chance to see the northern lights dance above your head and experience the mid-night sun
- You will learn the basics of front and backcountry camping, river canoeing, orienteering, hiking and risk management
- You will learn to apply leadership styles and core competencies of outdoor leadership during and after your experience.
If you are concerned about your physical readiness to attend one of our programs, please contact us directly. We modify our experiences based on people's abilities and capacities. Relax and let us work together to make an informed and shared decision.
Regardless of your comfort and outdoor skill level, it is safer to travel in a group and it is much safer to have guides supporting you. Our team puts a lot of effort into planning, preparing and, most importantly, teaching you how to be safe in the wilderness.
A well-nourished body makes a significant impact on a person’s experience in times of physical and/or mental exertion. Participants will learn how to pack for and prepare meals on extended backcountry trips, while cooking in a “wilderness” kitchen. While on trip we will nourish our bodies with healthy and holistic foods suited to all diets.
Yukon Facts & What to Wear
The name “Yukon” originated from the Locheux native word "Yuk-un-ah," meaning "Great River," referring to the Yukon River that flows across the territory into Alaska.
Tentative Trip Plan
Day One – Takhini Hot Springs, Whitehorse Afternoon departure from Vancouver International Airport Shuttle to Takhini Hostel from Whitehorse Airport Program orientation and gear check Welcome ceremony Visit Takhini Hot Springs
About Our Programs
Fireside Adventures adult retreats and adventure expeditions are a perfect mix of a high level of professionalism, all-encompassing instruction and significant knowledge of the areas you will be traveling through.
It's a Life Changing Experience
Jeff "Willy" Willis
Lead Yukon Canoe Trip Guide
We have totally made our lives way too complicated in our busyness and disconnected with things that matter to living a meaningful life.
Push the pause button and you will hear, see and feel the amount of “busyness” going on around you. Breath and don’t panic as we have a remedy.
Paddling the Yukon River “is a necessary act of replenishing one’s soul by travelling down its incredible awesomeness ”. A river canoe trip like Yukon adult canoe trip is a game changer and the best medicine for your busyness ailment. Willy believes life is about expanding your comfort zone; learning something new everyday and enjoying the abundance of precious moments we can share with others.
Willy has been guiding and designing unique expeditions and life experiences for over 25 years across Canada, Europe and Japan. You will be at ease with the skill sets, sense of humour and confidence he brings to your expedition experience. He provides excellent outdoor leadership instruction, keeps things simple and incorporates Life. Be. Adventure. into your experience.
Street Credit – Willy is an outdoor educator, social entrepreneur, adventurer, free spirit and an honest dude who cares about people, the planet and his incredible family and friends. If you are that curious to know more, than just google him or call him directly to have an old school conversation. Willy is also the owner of www.creativetoolbox.ca and www.vancouveroutdoorschool.com
Jordan “Birchy” Birch MSc. ACC
A social entrepreneur, management consultant, adventurer, guide, philanthropist and enlightened former addict whose talk and enthusiasm energizes others.
For over 18 years through playful experiential adventures he’s consulted high performing business leaders to actualize work-life integration into their corporate culture instead of sacrificing their lifestyle for business growth. He specializes in eradicating their Everythingitis™ (Ev-ree-thing-ahy-tis), the disease of being busy and the result of living intensely complicated lives. Jordan is the co-founder of The Meaningful Business Alliance (MBA), a community of cool people doing things that matter. The MBA model is specifically designed so that as your business grows so does your freedom. He is also the co-founder of Alive Foods, an agri-business that formulates plant based meal replacement products back by science.
Holding a Masters in Applied Ecopsychology and recognized as a thought leader in the field he is driven by personal experience. Today, he is multiple years clean and sober having survived addiction, depression, facial reconstructive surgery, and a brain injury.
As the Executive Director of Now That’s Ugly Society, Birchy co-founded the Original Ugly Christmas Sweater™ Party and Dash, the infamous giving phenomenon that helps grant the wishes of children living with a critical illness. He has been featured in hundreds of media, tv, and radio for his creative innovation and socially conscious events. Jordan thrives in a collaborative sandbox and is known for influencing local and international communities as a contributing author to the book Conscious Business and as a nominee for various business excellence and alternative health care practitioner, products, and personality awards.
He lives and breathes his role of service, however, you can also find him traveling with his family, at the hockey rink, at the crossfit box, on the yoga mat, steering the paddle board, blowing scuba bubbles underwater, planting footprints on the trail, shredding through powder or traversing his bike up a mountainside.