Fireside’s Big Sky Expedition:
An Adult Yukon River Canoe Trip
Imagine yourself in the middle of nowhere, breathing in the best air on the planet, canoeing down the majestic Yukon River with a massive sky above you. This is you enjoying your own postcard moment.
Are you in need of a personal Yukon adventure? A perfect remedy for a a mid-life fix, a pause in life, or a new perspective for your career?
All you need is a getaway to unplug, learn new skills and be inspired by injecting a Fireside “Big Sky” canoe trip into your bloodstream and soul.
(9 day expedition, 8 days on the river)
July 13 – July 21, 2019
July 20 – July 28, 2019
July 27 – August 04, 2019
August 10 – August 18, 2019
Ages: 18 + years (co-ed)
Rate: 2,449.00 - $2149.00 CDN
* If you plan on bringing a friend, please email us to receive a discount code!
Does not include flight, fishing license and accommodation in Whitehorse and Dawson City but we can connect you with deals and options (ask us about our special Air North rate!)
- We rent sleeping bags, camp chairs and thermarests for those needing extra comfort
- We also offer a Yukon Barrel Package deal which includes a tent, 60L barrel, sleeping bag, thermarest, water bottle, headlamp and more, to use on the trip and to take home with you.
- We have a special discount offer with local outdoor clothing retailers in Whitehorse to purchase when you arrive.
It's a Life Changing Experience
Imagine if... you could unplug and relax
Fireside’s Big Sky Expedition Details:
Just do it for you and join your fellow adventurers for Fireside’s Big Sky Adult Expedition 9 day Yukon River canoe trip and discover the wildness of the Yukon, old Gold Rush cabins and famous places like Whitehorse, Carmacks and the famous frontier town of Dawson City.
“My doctor says he thinks I am having a mid-life crisis. I was so surprised I nearly fell off my skateboard” - unknown
It's a Life Changing Experience
- A kick ass Yukon adult canoe trip travelling down the Yukon River. Check that off your bucket list
- We adjust the trip plan and logistics based on the overall group’s fitness and comfort level. We give our attention individually pre, during and post trips to make sure you are ready and feeling comfortable.
- Unplugged from wifi, phones, computers, home and work life.
- Fully guided, multi-day canoe trip while paddling down the Yukon River from Carmacks to Dawson City.
- Led by experienced guides gifted in teaching outdoor leadership and wilderness skills who will provide support for the entirety of the expedition
- Fabulous wilderness gourmet cooking prepared by your guides and fellow paddlers
- Step back into time by hiking the old trails in search of Yukon Gold Rush artifacts, abandoned cabins and panning for gold.
- Sleep under the stars on some of the Yukon River’s pristine river islands
- A chance to see the Northern Lights dance above your head and experience the Midnight Sun!
- Learn the basics of front and backcountry camping, river canoeing, orienteering, hiking and risk management
- Learn to apply leadership styles and core competencies of outdoor leadership during and after your experience.
SafetyRegardless of a participant ’s level of comfort and outdoor skills, it is safer to travel in a group and it is much safer to have an experienced instructor supporting them. Our team always prioritizes planning, preparing and, most importantly, teaching participants how to be safe in the wilderness.
FoodA well-nourished body makes a significant impact on a person’s experience in times of physical and/or mental exertion. Participants will learn how to pack and prepare healthy and holistic meals in our camp kitchens, suited for all diets.
Fitness CapacitiesIf you are concerned about yours or your child’s physical readiness to attend one of our Fireside camps/expeditions, please contact us directly. We modify our experiences based on the participant’s abilities and capacities. Relax and let us work together to make an informed and shared decision.
We do our best to understand the present and future impacts of climate change. We provide thoughtful discussions and rationale of why we all must do our best to minimize our carbon use including ways to reduce food waste, non-recyclable materials and more. We take public transit or walk as much as possible, and respect nature by reducing our ecological footprints.
Indigenous PeopleWe acknowledge that we are visitors of the traditional lands of Indigenous People. We ask permission to visit and explore their lands while also inviting local First Nations to participate in our camps, share their knowledge and provide a space to collaborate. Fireside Adventures recognizes the unceded traditional lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.
Small Group Focused & MobileWe purposely place restrictions on group size (minimum 8 and maximum 15) of participants as believe less means more in regards to providing an enriched and meaningful experience for each participant. We are not defined by one permanent location as we are rooted in the believe the adventure and learning on the explore the lands and waters around us.
Place and Inquiry Based
All of our selected locations for our camps and expeditions are purposely chosen to provide a platform for inquiry and experiential learning, to learn through the natural world and its significance in relation to culture, geography, history, people and environment.
Social and Emotional LearningWe create a safe place so participants can develop and enhance their resiliency, independence and self-efficacy. We weave learning opportunities throughout our programs for participants to improve the skills necessary to manage and understand their emotions and their relationships.
We are inclusive of all genders, races, cultures, languages, shapes, sizes, colours, abilities and capacities. Those who arrive on the first day of the camp/expedition are important characters of the shared experienced that is to begin. It is a privilege to be the characters in each other's stories and experiences, not our right.
Tentative Trip Plan
Other Camps & Trips We Offer:
2019 Youth Leadership Camps:
BC Explorer (21 or 28 days)
Yukon Explorer (14 or 21 days)
Indigenous World Bound (21 days)
World Bound (21 days)
2019 Kids Camps:
Bike Gourmet Camp
World Bound Language & Cultural Kids Camp
2019 Adult Expeditions:
Yukon: Laughing Buddha (ALS Fundraiser)